Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halloween @ our house

 A   Last year we decided to have a fun Halloween evening for the kids. Although we don’t really do the Halloween-thing here in South Africa as much as it is done in the US, my kids have grown up with it {having cousins living in the US}.

We couldn’t go from house to house collecting sweet treats as unless it is organised in one of the estates, no one does it. In our previous home, we used to have trick or treating each year as the estate we lived in organised a fun evening for the kids and they could safely go from house to house collecting goodies.

In our new home, our estate is simply too big and the houses are too far apart for any trick or treating to take place.

So I invited some friends & family over and asked each family to set up an area in our garden {in the dark!} & equip it with some scary stuff & loads of candy so the kids could go do trick or treating. They had so much fun dressing up {and I had equally as much more fun designing invitations, the menu and decorating the table}.

Here’s the email invitation:

{digital elements from Weeds & Wildflowers design}

HALLOWEEN INVITE copy

Here’s the menu…{just to clarify – we had hamburgers for dinner!}

halloween menu copy{Can you see why I had more fun than the kids?} g

At the time I was so busy with the decorating, preparing the food and sorting out costumes for the kids that I didn’t take many photos of my decor. {And not good ones either!}.

My overly-dramatic and orange-obsessed pre-teen wacky-witch daughter (middle) with her cousin {who was dressed as a victim of some or other monster attack} and my daughter’s friend the other “wacky witch”:

i Oct-Nov 2009 001

Oct-Nov 2009 002{Gotta luv that face!!}  d

  Oct-Nov 2009 014

My son and his best friends- taking the “vampire” thing a little far!:

 

Oct-Nov 2009 038 

Oct-Nov 2009 036 

b

The table – I unfortunately took this pic after the kids had destroyed it a bit, but you can get an idea. The balloon topiaries were made by tying 5 balloons together with ribbon and placing them on top of a dowel stick pushed into a pot filled with sand. The pot was wrapped with purple cellophane and to finish it off, I hung curly ribbons down from the balloons. “Easy peasy” and great for recycling for the next party – simply add new balloons & ribbon and in need, change the colour of the cellophane.

 Oct-Nov 2009 047

Oct-Nov 2009 042

These little jack-o-lanterns were a cute idea for candles – but unfortunately not too well thought through! {Note to self here!}    Flame + plastic = melted jack-o-lantern!! So I ended up with one candle becoming an orange blob which has now left a permanent stain on my sandstone counter top! {You live & learn!}

Eyeballs {plastic toys} floating in some punch…

Oct-Nov 2009 045

The trick-or-treaters…

Oct-Nov 2009 087

   And now for a freebie…

a

halloween popcorn box printable

I also made popcorn boxes decorated again with Weeds & Wildflowers’ cute digi Halloween elements.

I have a download for you of this popcorn box – so go ahead and grab it. Click on the picture to enlarge, right click and save.

  • Print out 2 copies onto A4 cardstock and cut them out.
  • Glue the two pieces together by gluing a side flap under one of the straight sides (matching the edges to get the box straight).
  • Glue the bottom flaps overlapping each other and glue the other side flap to the inside of the box. Easy!(

If you have any problems, send me an email or leave a question in the comments here – as I’m not sure if the picture will be the correct size. {If you have problems, I’ll load it on 4-shared this afternoon}.

{If you like the cute dingbats I’ve used in this post – they are a free font called “KR Boo Lane” – not sure, but I probably downloaded it from www.dafont.com – I LOVE their free fonts!}

Have a great Tuesday!

{Yippee- I’m off to art class now…} G

5 comments:

Angela said...

MMM..maggot relish! Great ideas..it's really neat what you did for the kids last year. I guess we (Americans) get carried away believing EVERYONE "celebrates" Halloween like we do!
Angela
PS Your back garden looks beautiful.

Paola said...

Hi, Veronica, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I was wondering if there was any other SA bloggers out there. I have added your button to my site. I downloaded your Christmas clocks from last year- thanks for the freebie they are great.

CountryBelle said...

I like the eyeballs in the punch! It looks way to warm to be Halloween though. We are usually wading through snow and bundled up with winter coats.
Thanks for the comment on my stars!

Unknown said...

What a great idea and a neat tradition to have with your family and friends. I love the menu - it made me smile!

Bird said...

Loved the ideas too! :)

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by Bird Crafts parties and for the sweet comment! :)

xoxo
Bird